Today-28 TH Feb , is our National Science day. In 1928, C.V. Raman announced this day the world famous discovery -‘Raman Effect’, a discove...
Today-28TH Feb, is our National Science day. In 1928, C.V. Raman announced this day the world famous discovery -‘Raman Effect’, a discovery which would earn him a Nobel Prize in the year 1930. This landmark discovery is finding applications today in the area of continuous wave all-silicon laser.
The nation pays homage and expresses its gratitude this day to all the scientists who are dedicatedly involved in science and scientific discoveries as vehicles for the overall development of the country. Our former President APJ Abdul Kalam believes that celebrations of Science as such will attract many young children to take up science as a career. According to him National science day is the day which reminds us that the important ingredient for societal transformation would come mainly from science.
The focal theme of this years’ national science day in India is however ‘ Dr. Manoj Patairiya, director, National Council of Science and Technology Communication[NCSTC], New Delhi ,Government of India which is inspired by a declaration by the United Nations [UN] General Assembly during its 60th session, 2005 to celebrate 2008 as International Year of Earth. The International Year runs from January 2007 to December 2009, the central year of the triennium (2008) having been proclaimed by the UN General Assembly as the UN Year.’ according
Science outreach programmes form the main activities of the International Year of Planet Earth [IYPE] throughout the world including
The inaugural function of the Indian Science Congress at
NCSTC, Government of India has drafted the following oath in consultation with its experts which are to be taken by citizens of
We Indians pledge to Conserve and make wise use of our Natural Resources.
We will not do anything to disturb the balanced interdependence of the Nature and its Beings,
Living with mutual Co-operation and Love for all;
We will Care for “Earth the Living Planet” and Work Together for the development of Mankind.
Our Earth and our Sources; we respect them all together.
Protection of nature and its beings; will make us proud forever.
And followings are some catchy slogans which aptly voice the concerns of planet earth and are befitting to the occasion. [Courtesy: NCSTC, Department of Science and Technology, GOI.]
· Diamond, silver and gold have worth, but nothing is more than life on Earth.
- The service you render to the environment is the rent we pay to Earth.
- Mars is hot Saturn has a ring; Earth is the only planet on which things live.
- Save trees, save yourself and your future.
- Catch water where it falls; make it available for one and all.
- When conservation fails destruction starts.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle are 3 R’s for a better life.
- Sure the pollution comes for free, but it’s after effects may cost your life.
- Prevent, Preserve, Protect are 3 P’s for conservation
- We don’t inherit Earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our kids.
- Nature provides us food for free, but only if we control our appetite!!!!
- Earth has sufficient for your need, but not enough for your greed.
- 'As the fittest champions, we have a duty to take care of the weaker species.
- Green Cities – Plan for the Planet!
- Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home
- We the People: United for the Global Environment
- New Challenge for the New Decade: Development Without Destruction
- Go for global - good for environment. Plant a tree - plan the future. Save the climate ---save the world.
- Use dustbin